Applications are now being accepted for a Respiratory Therapist. The Respiratory Therapist will be responsible for performing respiratory therapeutics throughout the hospital, including critical care areas. The successful applicant will be required to work Monday-Sunday 0800-200, 2000-0800, and 0800-1600, including holidays.
- Adhere to policies and procedures established for the assigned department while supporting the Mission, Vision and Values of Erie Shores Healthcare
- Demonstrates an understanding of the Regulated Health Professions Act 1991 (RHPA), and its requirements
- Maintain the confidentiality of all patient information
- Perform all duties with current and relevant professional, legal and ethical standards and evaluates outcomes according to those standards
- Responsible for ongoing maintenance of competencies by participating in quality monitoring programs, recertification programs (Advanced Cardiac Life Support, NRP, PALS), appropriate education, and training, and for documenting such participation
- Perform all duties with an understanding of and respect for the patients’ rights
- Report incidents of unsafe practice, incompetent activity or other professional misconduct of co-workers or other health care providers to the proper authorities as defined by law
- Assist with ambulance offload, including; changing the patient, connecting them to the telemetry monitor and providing them with the call bell.
- Administer respiratory medication as required.
- Respond to call bells as appropriate and/or work with the interprofessional team to ensure patient needs are met.
- Assist with patient transfers within and between hospitals as required.
- Assist Emergency Department staff with Echocardiograms as required.
- Collaborate with code team in code situations.
- Provide operational verification, routine troubleshooting and maintenance of all respiratory equipment
- Experience with billing codes and records for billing purposes
- Participate in the orientation of new employees and students
- Collaborate with other health professionals to ensure the safe and effective delivery of service
- Within the scope of practice defined by his/her certificate of registration, accept responsibility for the consequences of his/her actions
- Communicate effectively with patients, co-workers and other health care providers
- Perform any other relevant duties as assigned
- Graduate of an accredited program in Respiratory Therapy required
- Active member in good standing with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario (CRTO) required
- Successful Completion of the Canadian Board of Respiratory Care (CRBC) exam required
- Certificate in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) required
- Certificate in Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) required
- Certificate in Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) required
- Obstetrical, delivery and neonatal experience required
- Emergency Department assessment experience required
- Arterial line insertion, monitoring, etc. experience preferred
- Arterial blood gas (ABG) collection and analysis experience preferred
- Pulmonary function testing, including spirometry experience preferred
- Bilevel positive airway pressure (BiPAP) initiation experience preferred
- Home Oxygen Saturation assessment experience preferred
- Mechanical ventilation experience required
- Cardiac resuscitation experience required
- Critical patient transfer and transport experience preferred
- Tracheostomy care experience required
- Perform chest physiotherapy
- Experience performing intubation procedures
- Critical Care experience
- Evidence of sound organizational, problem solving and prioritization skills with ability to work well in a fast paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and documentation skills
- Ability to work both autonomously and as an effective team member
- Demonstrates a commitment to excellent customer service when dealing with patients, colleagues, volunteers and other members of the community.
- Basic level of proficiency in use of computers and other office equipment
Erie Shores HealthCare is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations available on request in all parts of the recruitment and assessment process as required under ESHC’s Accommodation Policy.
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Occupational Health and Safety department.