• Ensures organizational compliance with all Occupational Health & Safety related legislation including: Employment Standards Act, Occupational Health & Safety Act, Labour Relations Act, etc.
• Researches health and safety issues by reviewing relevant legislation, internal data, external sources and networking with other safety professionals.
• Identifies the need for, researches and writes recommendations for corporate health & safety programs, policies and procedures. Annually reviews existing health and safety programs and associated policies and procedures to ensure necessary updates.
• Develops policies and priorities in consultation with key stakeholders to align with corporate focused health and safety topics.
• Oversees the return to work process for ill, injured or disabled employees in accordance with the Early and Safe Return to Work Policy.
• Ensures investigations into safety concerns are completed and the necessary recommendations are actioned.
• Oversees coordination and operation of health & safety committees and contractors. Provides advice and resources to the OH&S Steering Committees with respect to health and safety matters.
• Entry point contact for the Ministry of Labour. Acts as a liaison between leadership and the Ministry of Labour regarding appropriate actions to be taken if required.
• Responsible for all appeals dealing with issues such as claims, compliance orders, penalties, assessments and similar issues in collaboration with Human Resources.
• Oversees OH&S audits as required by regulations.
• Manages the functioning of the health and safety.maintaining applicable documentation, establishing performance measures and analyzing and reporting on health and safety program results and trends.
• Ensures that there are preventive, surveillance, and control procedures relating to sterilization, disinfection, and cleaning practices in all departments.
• Provides reports to senior management regarding health and safety indicators, initiatives and statistics. Makes recommendations to senior management team.
• Analyses, evaluates and ensures reporting of all immunization statistics to Ontario Public Health.
• Identifies and promote Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and other wellness initiatives to assist in building a healthy, positive workplace environment in collaboration with HR.
Education & Certification
• Undergraduate Degree in Nursing or Health Promotion – Required
• Two to Three (3-5) years of progressively responsible related experience in Occupational Health and Safety.
• Occupational Health Nurse Certificate – Required.
Erie Shores HealthCare is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations available on request in all parts of the recruitment and assessment process as required under ESHC’s Accommodation Policy.