The History of Erie Shores HealthCare

Miscellaneous historical items shown in a glass display caseLeamington has had some semblance of a hospital since 1910, when a nurse named Maude Tisdale and her mother opened a small nursing home on Oak Street. It moved to various houses under different owners. It finally settled in a converted hotel named the Hopewell Hospital, which was “bursting at the seams” when its owner closed it down in 1943. Tackling the crisis, local service clubs took over running the hospital. A new hospital board began began a fundraising campaign in the midst of the Second World War. Leamington District Memorial Hospital was built for $482,968 and opened its door debt-free in 1950.

The hospital family and its supporters are proud of the hospital’s past and the gains made over the years. As a result of their hard work, dedication and faith, Leamington District Memorial Hospital transitioned into Erie Shores HealthCare in 2017 – the new name is intended to better reflect the geographic area it serves (including Leamington, Kingsville, Essex, Wheatley, Harrow, Amherstburg, and Belle River and its changing role in the community.

Erie Shores is positioned to be a player in local healthcare in the coming years with a focus on ‘Compassionate Care Close To Home’.