Visiting The Hospital
COVID-19 Positive / Suspected
Virtual Family Visits
Due to the current number COVID-19 cases across Essex County and Chatham-Kent, Erie Shores HealthCare is implementing enhanced visitor requirements.
At Erie Shoes HealthCare, our top priority is to support our patients' care journeys while recognizing our need to keep all patients, staff and community members safe. We recognize that family members, friends and loved ones play an important part in a patient’s care experience, and we encourage their involvement.
When Visiting a Loved One:
Please do not visit a patient in the hospital when you are feeling unwell. In addition to putting on a mask when entering the hospital and cleaning their hands frequently, all visitors are expected to follow these three rules for visitation:
- Maximum two visitors at the bedside at a time.
- Visitors must wear masks at all times. In some cases, additional precautions, such as wearing a gown or other personal protective equipment, must be taken before entering patient rooms. Please follow the additional precaution measures listed on patient doors if applicable.
- Visitors may bring food, coffee or other beverages for loved ones. Patients may eat or drink in their room when visitors are present. Visitors cannot, however, eat or drink in patient rooms because they must always keep their masks on. If you would like to eat or drink while at the hospital, you can do so in the cafeteria.
What does this mean for patients and families?
- Two family members at the bedside at a time between 8 am and 8 pm
- One designated family member at the bedside between 8 pm and 8 am
Any Patient who is COVID-19 Positive / Suspected
- COVID-19 patients may have designated visitors; however, ONLY TWO may be at the bedside at any time.
- These visitors should limit entering and leaving the building as much as possible.
- Visitors must wear PPE and full disclosure that they are putting themselves at risk for infection.
outpatients (diagnostic imaging, or, general surgery clinic, OB Triage)
ONE designated caregiver may accompany the patient, providing there is space for physical distancing in the waiting areas. The visitor must wear a surgical mask and other PPE as required.
Woman in Labour
The patient will choose support persons/visitors with no time restrictions, with only two support persons at the bedside.
If the Woman in Labour is confirmed or suspected COVID-19:
- Visitors remain with the patient in the same physical environment throughout the care delivery,
- The clinical team is able to provide visitors with a safe environment and teaching necessary for infection control.
Virtual Family Visits
Erie Shores HealthCare understands the family's important role in a patient's recovery. Virtual Family Visits allow patients and their loved ones to visit while maintaining necessary COVID-19 precautions. Instead, patients speak with loved ones using a telephone, smartphone or computer/tablet. Virtual Family Visits are approximately 20 minutes long and can be booked online in advance. Click this link for more information or to book your virtual visit: /virtualfamilyvisitrequest
All OUTPATIENTS AND VISITORS will continue to be required to wear medical-grade masks (no cloth masks) upon entry to the hospital. Visitors are reminded to wash their hands before entering and after leaving a patient room.