COVID-19 Assessment Center
COVID-19 Testing and Information
What is a COVID-19 assessment centre?
Who can visit an assessment centre?
- There are over 120 assessment centres across the province that have been set up to test Ontarians for COVID-19.
Population groups that can currently access a test at an assessment centre if they are asymptomatic include:
- As of September 24, 2020 - ESHC respects the Province’s need to avoid unnecessary testing due to lab capacity issues. Our team trusts our patients. Very few people have been coming for testing without a valid reason. Either they have symptoms, or they are visiting a loved one in long-term care, etc. Our medical team will continue to work with every person on a ‘one on one’ basis that right for them and our communities in which we continue to serve. Effective immediately, Ontarians should only seek testing at assessment centres if you are:
- Showing COVID-19 symptoms;
- Have been exposed to a confirmed case of the virus,
- as informed by your public health unit or exposure notification through the COVID Alert app;
- A resident or work in a setting that has a COVID-19 outbreak, as identified and informed by your local public health unit;
- and Eligible for testing as part of a targeted testing initiative directed by the Ministry of Health or the Ministry of Long-Term Care.
Starting on September 25, you can get tested for COVID-19 at select pharmacies if you are not showing symptoms and eligible for testing as part of a targeted testing initiative directed by the Ministry of Health or the Ministry of Long-Term Care.How do I get a test at this assessment centre?
- Residents or workers in long-term care homes
- Visitors to a long-term care home
- Residents or workers in homeless shelters
- International students that have passed their 14 day quarantine period
- Farm workers
- Indigenous communities
- Other setting-specific populations, as outlined in CMOH guidance (e.g., asymptomatic cancer patients).
- Targeted testing populations may change from time to time and individuals should confirm eligibility with their health care provider before seeking testing.
Do I need an appointment or referral?
- We have a walk-in center - please come to the back of ESHC in the former Ambulatory Care Clinic. Follow the blue signs.
What happens at this assessment centre?
- You do not need an appointment to get a test. We are accepting walk-ins.
- When you arrive we will take your name, assess you for COVID-19 symptoms, and you will be asked to wait in one of two lines (one line is for people with symptoms, and the other is for people without symptoms). We will then call you when it is your turn to be tested.
- A healthcare worker will swab your nose in order to obtain a sample to test you for COVID-19. For symptomatic people, a healthcare worker will also check your pulse and your heart rate.
- You will receive information about how to get your test results and what to do if it is positive.
Does this assessment centre test children for COVID-19?
Where is this centre located?
- Yes. We are equipped to test children for COVID-19.
The centre is located at:
Assessment Centre Erie Shores HealthCare Hospital
194 Talbot Street West
Ambulatory Care Entrance
How do I contact this centre?
- Our centre can only be accessed by entering through the South Wing entrance of the hospital.
Call us at 519-326-2373 extension 4263
What are the hours of operation?
Is parking available?
- We are open Monday through Sunday from 8AM to 6PM.
- Please note 8am to 9am is designated for surgery patients to get tested. Surgical patients please notify staff upon arrival if coming outside of reserved time of preoperative testing.
How do I find out my results?
- Parking is available in our lots off of Fader street or along Talbot.
Are there healthcare workers at this assessment centre who speak Spanish/other languages?
- To review your Covid Test Results please go to the Ministry of Health website. You will be required to enter your OHIP number from your green photo health card.
- If you are unable to access the Ministry of Health Covid Test Results website, you may call extension 519-326-2373 ext 4263 M-F 8am to 4pm for your results 72 hours after being tested.
- Yes. There are healthcare workers at this assessment centre who speak Spanish.
How else can I connect with this centre?
- For groups 10 or more people needing testing please contact 519-326-2373 ext 4218 to make arrangements.
Follow us on social media:
- Twitter @ESHCare
- Facebook @ESHCare